5 Ways to Lose Weight Walking
Last week I talked a little about the struggles we sometimes experience when it comes to weight loss AND how important it is to identify the many psychological layers that prevent us from achieving a healthier lifestyle.
Today, I want to talk about a REALLY, REALLY, EASY way you can start to move the needle on shedding a few pounds, OR simply step into feeling better and more confident in that amazing body of yours. (And I have a fantastic special for you too, so keep reading!)
While there are a million and one weight loss suggestions out there, there are also probably a million and one excuses you can come up with on any given day to avoid doing them.
Trust me, I get it.
But listen Darling, you only get one body in this life.
And I want to be sure you are lovin’ it up from head to toe, each and every day!
So I promise you that what I’m going to suggest is NOT going to be painful, uninspiring, unmotivating or even un-fun.
My suggestion might not be glamorous, but let me tell you, THIS is a surefire way to not only lose weight, lose belly fat, but research shows that by doing this daily, you could be extending your lifespan up to 7 years.
Are you ready to find out the SUPER DUPER easy, yet incredibly effective thing you can start doing TODAY?
It’s walking. Yes sirree, Bob. Good. Ole. Fashion. Walking.
As noted by Katy Bowman, a scientist and author of the book, Move Your DNA: Restore Your Health Through Natural Movement,
“Walking is a superfood. It’s the defining movement of a human.” (TWEET THIS)
Regular, brisk walking may be even MORE effective for weight loss than going to the gym, according to research. How about that?!
But here’s the real kicker, my cutie pie. In addition to the weight loss benefit, while you are walking, well…you can’t be sitting.
And I know you have heard the latest phrase, “Sitting is the new smoking.”
Sitting for more than eight hours a day is associated with a 90 percent increased risk of Type 2 Diabetes, along with increased risks of heart disease, cancer, and all-cause mortality.
Now, I’m not tryin’ to scare ya, but I am trying to show you that one of the easiest, most accessible ways to take care of your body only requires 3 things.
You. A pair of kicks. And your willingness to put one foot in front of the other.
Walking truly is a miracle drug that you don’t need a prescription for—AND it’s free!
Are you willing to jump on the Walking Wagon with me? If so, I want to give you five ways to make the most of your time and energy when it comes to struttin’ your stuff.
1. Create a killer playlist. In addition to using Spotify (one of my favs) or iTunes, I have to remind you about one of my most popular products EVER: the Soul Stroll!
The Soul Stroll is an uplifting, inspiring soundtrack of music and mantras designed to help you pick up the pace as you power walk your way to health.
2. Pick Up The Pace! In order for your walk to be effective, I want you to move it a little faster than you might normally walk. Imagine you’re in an airport and you’re cutting it a bit close for your flight. Not like the gate is closing, but they’re boarding at any moment!
If you keep up with this for about 60 minutes, 3 times a week, in no time you will start to notice a difference in how your body feels.
3. Walk First Thing In the AM. If you can squeeze your Stroll in before the day takes over, 1) you are more likely to do it and 2) your body is already in a calorie deficit, and it will ignite your body’s fat-burning ability. If that’s too much mumbo-jumbo science for ya, you can simply accept the premise that most things we do first thing in the morning are just more likely to get done.
4. Track Your Steps. If you have an iPhone, use the Health App. It’s free and comes already installed on your iPhone. Unfortunately, I don’t know the Android equivalent, but there are plenty of other apps out there that track your stats.
The reason I love to track my steps is because it gives me a goal. I try to get at least 10,000 steps in every day. When I was in LA, a notorious non-walking city, I would walk around the parking lot of my building at the end of the day just to hit my numbers. It might sound crazy, but I love accomplishing even small goals like that. Makes me feel proud!
5. Don’t Be Afraid If Your Walks Turns Into a Slow Jog! I know you might be thinking, “But there is NO WAY that would happen to me, Erin.” But let me just share this from one of our clients who uses the Soul Stroll:
“I did it. I ran. On purpose, with no dinosaurs chasing me!
When I heard that some people who don’t normally run do so while listening to Soul Stroll, I was positive it wouldn’t be me. I was so afraid that my knees would shatter into a thousand pieces, or worse, the townsfolk would laugh at me. But I did it. I ran. On purpose, with no dinosaurs chasing me. And I didn’t feel ashamed. Instead, I felt a sense of joy. So far my Soul Strolls have made a huge positive change in my perceptions and attitudes about exercise!” —Cydni Hudson
This could be you as well! But it’s up to you!
And of course, if this post resonated with you or perhaps, you already LOVE your Soul Stroll, please come on over and leave me a comment on the blog. I always love hearing from you!
With Strollin’ love,